This creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 8 bacon slices
- 4 tbsp unsalted Challenge Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish
- Pierce the potatoes multiple times with a fork, then microwave them for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender.* Carefully halve the potatoes and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skins, and cut into chunks.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool. Reserve up to 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan, discarding the rest. Once the bacon has cooled, crumble it into small pieces.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the reserved bacon fat, garlic and onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Slowly whisk the flour into the pan and stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Keep whisking until smooth. Gradually add the chicken stock. Bring to a light simmer and whisk in the kosher salt, garlic salt and pepper. Keep at a light simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.