A tender layer cake recipe brightened with lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds, frosted with a tangy sweet lemon cream cheese frosting.
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
- 3 cups cake flour, spooned and leveled (336g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon zest, about 3–4 lemons
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, block style
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cold
- 4 ounces salted butter, slightly softened but still cold
- 4–6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Assembly:
- Lemon slices
- Poppy Seeds
- Edible flowers (optional)
Make the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and lightly flour three 8″ round pans. Line with parchment paper circles.
- Whisk together 3 cups cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add lemon zest and whisk again. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice. Stir to combine and set aside for milk to curdle. This is similar to making homemade buttermilk.
- Full instructions visit @thecakeblog