- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EACH: kosher salt, sugar, AND low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon EACH: onion powder AND thyme
- ¼ teaspoon: garlic powder
GARLIC BUTTER CHICKEN:
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 10 cloves garlic (4 minced, 6 whole)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme (or ¼ dried)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 – 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped parsley, for topping
- BRINE: Add the water, salt, sugar, and soy sauce to a medium bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the chicken breasts and allow them to marinate for as little as 15 minutes, or ideally 4-12 hours. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- SAUCE: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the chicken broth, minced garlic, and allow the chicken broth to come to a boil, then lower the heat so it just simmers. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon of butter, remove the pan from heat and swirl so the butter starts to melt or use a whisk to melt the butter melt. Place back on the heat for a few seconds, remove and continue to swirl until butter melts. Repeat with the remaining butter. When the butter has completely melted and thickened the sauce, remove from the stove. Stir in the pepper, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- ASSEMBLE: Remove the chicken breasts from the brine and pat dry using a paper towel. Combine the remaining onion powder, thyme, and garlic powder in a small bowl and sprinkle over the chicken breasts evenly. Place the chicken breasts in an oven-safe baking dish. Carefully pour the prepared sauce around the chicken breasts and drop the 6 remaining whole garlic cloves into the broth.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 19-25 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through (it should register 165F on a thermometer.) Add the mozzarella cheese to the chicken breasts and broil just long enough for the cheese to melt. Top with chopped parsley (or basil) and serve warm with crusty bread, pasta, rice, or steamed veggies!