- 3 pounds chuck roast cut into 2″ chunks
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 Yukon potatoes chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and season the beef chunks with salt and pepper before dredging in flour.
- Add the butter and canola oil to a large dutch oven on medium heat and brown the beef on all sides in batches (3-4 minutes per batch).
- Remove the last batch of the beef and add in the onions, garlic and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly caramelized before adding the potatoes in along with the broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and Worcestershire sauce and stirring to combine.
- Add the beef back into the pot, cover and cook in the oven for 3 hours, removing the bay leaf before serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 391 calories, Calories: 391g, Carbohydrates: 4g, Protein: 34g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 124mg, Sodium: 909mg, Potassium: 745mg, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 245g, Vitamin C: 3.5g, Calcium: 46g, Iron: 4.2g