This Chicken Rice Soup is a hearty, healthy soup recipe that’s perfect for fall! Loaded with vegetables, lean chicken and brown rice it can be made stove top or slow cooker.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts raw
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, until onion begins to turn golden.
- Add garlic, parsley and thyme and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, rice, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (a simmer), cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Add back to the pot with evaporated milk. Serve & Enjoy!
*NOTE: carrots will be very tender by the time the rice is cooked. If you prefer your carrots with more bite to them, add them after the first 10 minutes when stirring the soup.
Nutrition FactsAmount Per ServingCalories 332Calories from Fat 81% Daily Value*Fat 9g14%Saturated Fat 3g19%Cholesterol 60mg20%Sodium 607mg26%Potassium 803mg23%Carbohydrates 35g12%Fiber 2g8%Sugar 6g7%Protein 25g50%Vitamin A 5250IU105%Vitamin C 5.4mg7%Calcium 150mg15%Iron 1.6mg9%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.