This is my most-requested recipe, no contest. These have the texture of a traditional chewy molasses cookie plus deep chocolate and espresso flavor. You can mix it up in one or two bowls, no mixer needed. These are great for make-ahead and store, freeze and ship well.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder I prefer Nestle
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsulphered molasses I like Brer Rabbit Mild Flavor
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 packets Starbucks Via or 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies
- In a large bowl, stir the cocoa and molasses into the warm butter. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add 1 c. sugar, egg, vanilla extract and Via (or espresso powder) to the butter mixture. Stir dry ingredients into the wet. Cover and chill dough for as little as an hour or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into balls (a cookie scoop is great for this), and roll them in the remaining white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for 12-14 minutes, until cookies are puffed, centers are set and they are beginning to form cracks. Do not overbake.