These Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes are a unique and fun treat that’s loaded with caramel popcorn flavour! It starts with a fluffy caramel cupcake that has finely crushed caramel popcorn mixed in. Take it to the next level by filling it with more caramel, topping it with caramel buttercream, caramel popcorn and, you guessed it….more caramel!
CARAMEL POPCORN CUPCAKES:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups caramel popcorn, crushed into fine crumbs (optional)
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups Unsalted Butter, slightly softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche (or salted caramel sauce)
- Extra caramel popcorn
- salted caramel sauce
FOR THE CARAMEL POPCORN CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350° F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Line a second tin with 6 liners, this recipe makes about 18 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.